Geoboards

Do you use geoboards? I LOVE them and so do the kids!

We are learning about shapes right now and so I decided this was the best time to introduce the geoboards so that they can be an independent center soon.

I always start by letting the kids explore.




Then I have them make basic shapes. As they get better my directions become more exact. For example, "make a small red rectangle" rather than just "rectangle."



The next lesson I pull out these geoboard number cards I have... I have no idea where I bought them! Does anyone recognize these?




Later in the year I will add a recording sheet!
This is also a fun site where students can create on a virtual geoboard:
http://www.mathplayground.com/geoboard.html

Geoboards help students learn about shapes, practice following directions and it helps to build fine motor skills!


1 comment

  1. Hey I think you just inspired me to dust off my geoboards and use them when we do shapes. I love you blog and I am nominating you for the Liebster Award for new bloggers! Click on by blog name below and it will take you to the post with the directions for the award!
    Sarah
    Clearly Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete