Let the Leprechaun Fun Begin!

As I sat down to write this post I realized two things:

1. I haven't posted in a week... um, not sure what I have been doing?
2. I seem to share so many art related activities as I am about to now. I find this a little funny since I don't see myself as artistic. And yes, I do teach kindergarten which lends itself to craft crazy fun, but we do other things to and I am going to try to share more variety moving forward.

Anyway.... March is one of my favorite months! Last week we made our monthly calendar doing a directed draw of a leprechaun. I did this whole group from the Smart Board. The image you see below is further proof that I am not truly artistic.



My husband, who just happens to be Irish, drew a very simple leprechaun for me... he's the artist! I then  chopped it up into steps to teach my little ones.

I always tell them to "use light pencil" so that they can easily erase anything they want to change. Plus a few of the steps require erasing. For example, they make the leprechaun's hat by drawing two rectangles that are touching and then go back and erase the joining lines.

I just love the mischievous face on this one:


Then we colored them in...added a little gold glitter for his pot of gold, of course and that was our calendar ready to go!

I don't know the author of the song that I use. It is to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot."

I'm a little leprechaun
Dressed in green.
The tiniest man that you have ever seen.
If you ever catch me so it's told,
I'll give you my big pot of gold!


The directions to the leprechaun directed draw are in my St. Patrick's Day Mini Unit of TpT. There are both visual and written directions. Just click on either image below.


I'll be posting more leprechaun fun soon!


1 comment