Saturday, November 16, 2013

Where is the Turkey?

I {heart} that handprint turkey! I actually {heart} all handprint art items. I teach kindergarten so I think that is sort of mandatory...right?

On the day we paint their little hands we do two handprints: one for a Thanksgiving card to their parents and one for this fun project:

Let me back up a bit... These are three of my favorite turkey themed books:
There are an endless amount of activities you can do with these. I like to chat about the various settings we find the turkeys in.

Some are funny such as:
And some are a bit more realistic:
{The 2 above pictures are from either The Great Turkey Race or The Amazing Turkey Rescue...and I regret to admit I can't remember which one! But you probably just need both of these in your library anyway!}

We discuss how cool it is that when you are the author you can pick any setting you want! Those lucky authors :)

In math we are focusing on positional words: behind, between, above, below, next to... You know good ol' Common Core Standard K.G.A.1

So that is where our friend the handprint turkey makes his appearance.  When the volunteer or aide does the handprints I tell them to plop that hand down in a different place for each child. Some at the top or side...basically setting the stage for us all to have different sentences later on.

This year I had them all stick to a "farm-ish" type theme and we took inspiration from the above mentioned books that we were already very familiar with.  Next year I may allow them to do an ocean or jungle or other "crazy" setting.

The had to choose a position word from the chart and tell me the rest of their sentence. I helped them to write it. Here are a few more to see:


This may be my favorite....turkey ON a pig.
 And this little smartie wanted to use right/left which weren't words on my chart... but hey, that is a positional word, so let's do it!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great idea, they came out really cute. We just posted someThanksgiving freebies on our new blog. Hope you can check them out and follow us. Thanks

    http://www.thrillsandfrillsinfirst.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great illustrations the kids colored with their turkeys!!!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must remember for next year!

    ReplyDelete